LICENSE, CERTIFICATION & EXAMS
Keep up with the latest professional standards and state and federal regulations that matter to your practice and your career. The Education Fund provides financial support to our members seeking a specialty license or certification in their current field of work. Before submitting an application for reimbursement, please read below.
Reimbursement Program FAQ
WHAT LICENSE(S) OR CERTIFICATIONS ARE REIMBURSABLE?
Here are some common licenses and certifications we support. (This is not a comprehensive list):
- Surgical & Anesthesia Tech: Currently employed in the role, but not yet certified.
- Imaging: ARRT-CT, ARRT-MR, ARRT-Mammography, Sonography – specialty exams for RDMS, RDCS, RVT & RMSKS.
- Respiratory: RRT (if currently working as CRT), Adult Critical Care, Pulmonary Function (CPFT), and NPS.
- Registered Nurse: CRRN, CPN, OCN, and CCRN.
- LVN: IV certification
- Ophthalmology (for those already working in the field): COA and COT.
- Coders: CCS.
- Sterile Processing: CSPDT or CRSCT.
- Electroneurodiagnostic Techs: EEG, EP, CNIM, CLTM, and CAP.
To discover if review courses are available for your classification, visit our CEUs page.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR REIMBURSEMENT?
Employees must meet the following requirements:
- Work for a contributing employer (see list here)
- Be a member of a bargaining unit whose contract includes Education Fund Benefits.
- Be seeking a specialty license or certification. (Entrance exams or renewals are not supported).
- Have completed your initial probationary period.
- Have taken the license or certification exam within the last 90 days.
- Submit required paperwork with receipts included in the original application.
- Non-benefitted employees must have worked in their position six months or longer.
WHAT IS REIMBURSABLE?
- Exam fees.
- Review course and materials if taken within six (6) months of the exam.
- Up to $1,000 per license or certification type.
- Maximum of one reimbursement per license or certification type.
- Only one attempt per exam/test is reimbursable (pass or fail).
WHAT IS NOT REIMBURSABLE?
- Re-certifications or renewals.
- Membership fees or dues.
- Travel, food, and/or lodging.
- License or certification which is required to enter a field (ex. NCLEX, TEAS, or other entrance exams).
- Review course or materials dated more than six (6) months prior to the exam date.
- Any reimbursement for an exam or license which has previously been reimbursed by the Education Fund.
- Any expenses greater than $1,000 per license or certification type.
HOW DO I GET REIMBURSED?
Complete the online application within 90 days of the exam. Application must be completely filled out and submitted electronically. Once your application is submitted you will receive an email within 3-5 business days with a reimbursement form and required list of items for submission. Note: Any documents submitted without the reimbursement form will not be considered. You must submit all documents and the reimbursement form together as one package. For questions regarding the application process please call us at (888) 872-4606.
I SUBMITTED MY APPLICATION ONLINE AS WELL AS ALL MY SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS. WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
- Check the email you listed on your application for a response. Incomplete applications will be returned via email, and you will need to resubmit.
- Once all documents have been received, you will receive an email confirmation within ten (10) business days indicating your application is being reviewed.
- From the date of your confirmation email you can expect to get a final decision about reimbursement within thirty (30) days. Final decisions will be communicated via email, so please be sure to check your SPAM folder if you don’t hear back within this time frame.
- After 30 days, if you have not been notified of your application status, please email L&C at email@example.com.
Find a class that fits your schedule! AHA Certification courses are offered regularly by our trusted educational partners. You can browse their website for a class that works on your time, and sign up for no cost!
This is a four (4) hour class designed for healthcare workers. Successful completion of this American Heart Association (AHA) certified class results in BLS card. Course material and skills practice is included.
BLS/CPR (En Español)
Esta clase está diseñada para trabajadores de atención médica. Los estudiantes recibirán su certificación el mismo día, después de haber completado satisfactoriamente el curso de RCP y SVB. Es necesario tener la habilidad de hablar el español conversacional para este curso.
- Antioch – Sábado, 27 de Octubre – 8:00am to 12:00pm
ADVANCED CARDIOVASCULAR LIFE SUPPORT (ACLS)
This course is intended for professionals who may respond to cardiovascular emergencies, and for students currently completing a related educational program. The course includes training in the management of Bradycardia, Tachycardia, and Pulseless arrest in adults using 2010 AHA Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support guidelines. ACLS also covers airway management and related pharmacology, management of Stroke, Heart Attack and Acute Coronary Syndrome. Current BLS Card is required. EKG recognition is highly recommended, but not required. Class participants will earn AHA Certification Card (valid for 2 years). 14 CEU’s (Nor-Cal)/12 CEU’s (So-Cal). Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider Number #15570 (Nor-Cal)/#15925 (So-Cal). In So-Cal, 12 EMS and Pharmacy CE’s also available.
PEDIATRIC ADVANCED LIFE SUPPORT (PALS)
Training in the ability to respond to emergencies for infants and children. This certification course is intended for healthcare professionals who frequently treat pediatric patients. Course content covers the latest updates to PALS from the American Heart Association. In addition, the course will review child CPR and AED, management of respiratory emergencies, vascular access and other important topics. Through simulations, students will learn and practice the necessary skills to respond to cardiac, respiratory, and shock emergencies. Current BLS Card is required. EKG recognition is highly recommended, but not required. Class Participants will earn AHA Certification Card (valid for 2 years) and 14 CEU’s. Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider Number #15570.
ECG BASIC/ADVANCED INTERPRETATION
Training for healthcare professionals to interpret basic and advanced ECG’s, and recognize myocardial infarction. These are lecture courses that include recognition exercises.
Students with little to no experience interpreting EKG’s should attend the one-day Basic ECG class. Those signing up for the Advanced 12 Lead EKG class should already have a solid foundation in the interpretation of basic ECG (or have completed our Basic EKG class).
Current BLS Card is required. Prior knowledge of the anatomy and physiology of the heart is strongly recommended. Participants in both classes will earn an AHA ECG & Pharmacology Completion Certificate. Only EMTs will earn 7 CEU’s for the Basic class. (CECB EMS Provider # AMHA0013). Earn 14 CEU’s after completing the Advanced class (EMT’s can only earn a total of 7 units once for either course). Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Provider Number #15570 (Nor-Cal)/#15925 (EMS and Pharmacy CE’s also available in So-Cal.).
NOTE: This class is intended for healthcare professionals who deliver direct patient care. This short class certifies students to interpret ECG’s and NOT to work as ECG Technicians. If you are interested in learning how to become an ECG Technician, you can speak to an Ed Fund career counselor.
- Antioch – 12-Lead Advanced ECG – Friday, October 12 and Saturday, October 13 – 9:00am-5:00pm
(Must attend both days. 16 CEUs available for RN, EMT-P, CNA, and MA)
NEONATAL RESUSCITATION PROGRAM (NRP)
The Neonatal Resuscitation Program course conveys an evidence-based approach to care of the newborn at birth and facilitates effective team-based care for healthcare professionals who care for newborns at the time of delivery. NRP utilizes a blended learning approach, which includes online testing, online case-based simulations, and hands-on case-based simulation/debriefing that focus on critical leadership, communication, and team-work skills.
NRP is designed to provide healthcare professionals working with neonatal and newborn infants the ability to participate in the causes, prevention, and management of mild to severe neonatal asphyxia. This course will introduce students through an evidence-based approach to the concepts and basic skills of neonatal resuscitation.
ServSafe: Food Handler Safety Certification
This ServSafe Food Handler course and assessment meets the requirements set for by the California Retail Code. Key areas covered include basic food safety, personal hygiene, cross contamination, time and temperature, and cleaning and sanitation. Assessment included in course, and certifications mailed within 10 business days.
- Dominican Oaks – Wednesday, October 3 – 9:00am to 11:00am
EXAM REVIEW PREP CLASSES
ADULT CRITICAL CARE SPECIALIST (ACCS)
This 2-day course provides each participant with a comprehensive review of Adult Critical Care and a step-by-step method of preparation for the successful completion of Adult Critical Care specialist Examination offered by the NBRC. Materials include a study guide, workbook, and practice tests.
NEONATAL PEDIATRIC SPECIALIST (NPS)
This 2-day course provides each participant with a comprehensive review of Neonatal/Pediatric Specialist respiratory care and a step-by-step method of preparation for the successful completion of their examination. At the review, you will receive everything you need to pass your exam including a study guide, workbook, and practice tests
REGISTERED RESPIRATORY THERAPIST (RRT)
This course provides each participant with a comprehensive review of Basic and Advanced Respiratory Care along with a step-by-step method of preparation for successful completion of both the Therapist Multiple Choice and Clinical Simulation examinations.
The seminar provides each participant a thorough review of the exam content and the opportunity to practice multiple choice questions and branching-logic, interactive simulations. The program provides insights into exam structure, content and techniques for successful completion of each exam.