Computer & Technical Skills
With technology becoming more and more prevalent in the workplace, it’s more important than ever to have strong computer skills. Whether just getting comfortable with computers or you’re looking to level up, we have a variety of classes and programs to help.
Already know what computer skills you would like to learn or improve? Register below or browse the free, in-person classes available to you from our educational partner Academy X (view registration instructions).
To find an Education Fund hosted class click “Register Now” to create a user profile and see what classes are available in your area.
Computers Made Easy
This class covers essential computer skills for anyone struggling with technology in the workplace. You will learn:
- How to turn on and operate a computer
- Various applications and programs
- How computer skills increase your marketability with your employer
Intro To MS Word
Microsoft has made huge changes to the functionality and the interface of Word and subsequently built on those enhancements. the introductory Microsoft Word training will give you experience using the essential features of this powerful application. After completing this Word training class, you’ll be confident that you can produce documents which are easy to understand and visually compelling. Using hands-on exercises, you will learn how to:
- Efficiently create and edit business and informal documents
- Manipulate text, images, charts and tables in just a few clicks
- Distribute your work to any folder on your computer
- Control tabs, margins, spacing and numbering
- Revise selected content throughout a document instantly
- Prep MS Word content for other formats and programs
Intro To MS Excel
Microsoft Excel is a software application for manipulating and organizing data. It has functions to automatically perform calculations, convert data into charts and graphs, and tools to share business information. Upon completing our introductory Excel training, you will be able to:
- Navigate Excel’s “ribbon” menu interface
- Create a spreadsheet to organize data
- Format fonts, colors, and styles
- Perform basic calculations between cells
- Correctly reference cells so formulas still work when you insert rows
- Apply functions like AVERAGE(), MIN(), MAX(), and SUM()
- Designate print areas, page breaks, headers and footers
- Create and format charts and graphs
Intro To MS Outlook
MS Outlook is one of the most commonly used applications in the workplace. As such, it is important to be able to comfortably navigate and take advantage of its basic features: email, scheduling, and contact management. In our Outlook training we train students in how to:
- Navigate features using the Outlook 2013 “ribbon”
- Configure a new email account
- Compose and send emails and attachments
- Use the Outlook calendar
- Schedule meetings among employees using Outlook
- Manage your database of contacts
- Set up tasks with priorities and due dates
- Write small electronic post-it notes and reminders
Intro To MS Powerpoint
Microsoft PowerPoint is the leading software for delivering professional presentations, and proficiency with PowerPoint is a required skill for those who present in almost any professional capacity. The introductory PowerPoint training will provide you with the experience and understanding necessary to develop persuasive, dynamic slide show presentations which combine graphics, text, and animation effects. Exercises will teach you to:
- Navigate PowerPoint’s features using the new “Fluent” interface
- Create and modify a slideshow in minutes
- Perfect mouse and keyboard controls for precision editing
- Use the Format Painter to easily match character styles
- Insert and adjust WordArt, SmartArt, and Excel-created tables and charts
- Emphasize information by adding animated transition effects
- Use PowerPoint themes to give your work a professional look and feel
- Manage multiple versions of the same presentation by applying the “hide” feature
- Add speaker notes to keep you on track during your talk
Intro To MS Publisher
Microsoft Publisher is a publication application included with the Microsoft Office Suite. Publisher is impressive in that it is simple to use and effectively produce publications like brochures, magazines, or newsletters. With a variety of layout and designing tools, Publisher offers more flexibility than Microsoft Word when it comes to different documents rich in both visual and textual objects. After attending the introductory Microsoft Publisher class, students will learn how to:
- Navigate through Publisher’s interface quickly and efficiently
- Create single page publications using templates, margin guides, and textual and graphical objects
- Create multi-page publications with the usage of facing-pages.
- Customize and stylize content and objects to improve readability of the publication.
- Work with Excel data tables or create and modify tables within Publisher.
- Check publication material for spelling errors or design errors in preparation for printing.
- Export to PDF format and set up publications to be sent out for printing.
Online Video Training
If you are already familiar with using email and Microsoft applications, but want to learn about the latest updates, short video trainings are available online via Skillsoft. To access Skillsoft’s computer software and email support videos, login with your employee ID and use “welcome” as a temporary password. Once on the Skillsoft page, click on the “computers” icon.