STEP – Degree Completion
The STEP Degree Completion Program removes financial barriers and provides counseling and academic support so you can succeed in completing a degree program or qualifying for and completing a healthcare training program that will accelerate your movement up the career ladder.
The STEP Degree Completion Program supports workers like you in completing the following at local Community Colleges:
- Degrees AA/AS
- Healthcare Training Programs
The degree, certificate or training program must lead to or support a job that exists at your employer.
Not sure what classes to take? After you apply, your assigned Education Fund Career Counselor will help guide you through the process.
The STEP Application for the 2019 Spring Semester and Winter Quarter has ended. Please check back here in March 2019 for the next STEP application period.
Type Of Support
- Tuition, Mandatory Fees & Required Books paid for every quarter/semester at local community colleges.
- Work with an Ed Fund Career Counselor who will guide and support you through the process.
- Receive free one on one online tutoring for difficult subjects like math, English and science.
- Get on track to reach your education goals and upgrade your career!
Am I Eligible?
Yes, if you
- Are a regular full or part-time employee who is eligible for benefits from your employer.
- Work in an SEIU bargaining unit for which the employer makes an Education Fund contribution.
- Have completed your initial probationary period.
- Meet the college’s prerequisites for your class.
- If in a Healthcare training program, you must be accepted into the program.
- Enrolled in the community college and able to register for your classes.
What Classes Are Covered?
1. All classes at the community college required for a:
- HealthCare Training program*
2. Basic computer, ESL, and student success classes (quarter/semester length classes)
* The degree, certificate or training program must lead to or support a job that exists at your employer. Approved number of classes per semester/quarter are limited in some regions.
What Colleges Are Covered?
Local Community Colleges in these regions:
- Southern California
- Central CA/Coast
- Northern California
If your local community college is not listed in the STEP online application please contact us at 1-800-888-872-4606.
What STEP Track Am I On?
Start wherever you are!
- Getting on Track! – For those who are not sure what they want to do, and want to work with a Career Counselor to choose the right track and get started.
- Preparing for a Healthcare Training Program Track – Taking GEs (General Education), College Prep and Prerequisites to eventually get into a healthcare training program. (RN, Rad Tech, Resp Therapy, PA, etc)
- In a Healthcare Training Program Track (STEP CORE) – Enrolled in a Healthcare training program at the Community College like RN, Rad Tech, LVN, MA, Coding, Phlebotomy, etc.
- Academic AA/AS Degree Track – Taking GEs, College Prep, Degree applicable courses toward a non-healthcare-related academic degree like business, psychology, communication, or want to transfer to a 4 year degree.
Online Classes through your local community college – Many of the colleges provide online or hybrid versions of their classes. The STEP-Degree Completion Program will support any semester/quarter online or hybrid college credit classes at the community college.
Please note that the STEP Accelerated Online Pilot Program for 2018 is closed and we will not be accepting any new students for 2019 at this time.
How Do I Get Accepted Into STEP Program?
Application Process For New Students
- Apply for the STEP program. You will receive an email within 10 business days to let you know your application was successfully processed, next steps and a link to the New Student Online Orientation.
- Speak with your assigned Ed Fund Career Counselor to review your application and discuss the next steps of the process. It is very helpful if you can send unofficial transcripts or assessment scores to your assigned Ed Fund Career Counselor. If you need help with this, please ask your Ed Fund Career Counselor for assistance. They are here to support you.
- Register for your class through the community college’s registration process at the earliest opportunity.
- Complete the New Student Online Orientation. This is a mandatory step and can be completed at any time after you apply.
What If I’m Not Sure I’m Ready To Start College?
We suggest that you first meet with a Career Counselor to review your goals, develop a plan, and help you decide if STEP Degree Completion Program is the next best step for you. Call 1.888.872.4606 to talk to an Education Fund Career Counselor.
If you want to prepare yourself to take a college-level course, we recommend that you first consider completing one of our non-credit online classes (Intro to Medical Terminology, Intro to Anatomy & Physiology, and Biology) through our Healthcare Career Basics program.