(Success Through Educational Preparation)
The STEP Program supports workers like you in completing prerequisite, college readiness and general education classes at local community colleges. The program provides additional support and removes financial barriers so you can succeed in degree completion or qualifying for healthcare training programs that will accelerate your movement up the career ladder!
Not sure what classes to take? After you apply for STEP, your assigned Education Fund Career Counselor will help guide you through the process.
HOW DOES STEP SUPPORT YOU?
- Get your Tuition, Mandatory Fees & Books paid for at local community colleges.
- Work with an Ed Fund Career Counselor who will guide and support you through the process.
- Receive free one on one online tutoring for difficult subjects like math, English and science.
- Get on track to reach your education goals and upgrade your career!
AM I ELIGIBLE?
Yes, if you
- Are a regular full or part-time employee who is eligible for benefits from your employer.
- Work in an SEIU bargaining unit for which the employer makes an Education Fund contribution.
- Have completed your initial probationary period.
- Meet the college’s prerequisites for your class.
WHAT CLASSES ARE COVERED?
- Computer – Basics, Word and Excel, and Intro to Computer Sciences
- College Readiness
- English – all levels through advance composition
- Math – all levels
- Science classes – Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, Microbiology, Biology and Physics
- Other Prerequisite classes – Pharmacology, Genetics, Medical Terminology, Nutrition, Psychology (General & Life Span/Human Development), Speech, Sociology, Cultural Anthropology, Foreign language, History and Political Science
- GE (General Education) classes required for an AA or AS degree at the supported Community College
CAN I TAKE STEP CLASSES ONLINE?
Yes! Many of the colleges provide online or hybrid versions of their classes. To learn more, call 1.888.872.4606 to talk to an Education Fund Career Counselor or visit www.cvc.edu, which lists most of the online classes available at California community colleges.
HOW DO I GET ACCEPTED INTO STEP?
THE STEP APPLICATION PROCESS FOR NEW STUDENTS
- Apply for the STEP program. You will receive an email within 10 business days to let you know your application was successfully processed, next steps and a link to the New Student Online Orientation.
- Speak with your assigned Ed Fund Career Counselor to review your application and discuss the next steps of the process. It is very helpful if you can send unofficial transcripts or assessment scores to your assigned Ed Fund Career Counselor. If you need help with this, please ask your Ed Fund Career Counselor for assistance. They are here to support you.
- Register for your class through the community college’s registration process at the earliest opportunity.
- Complete the New Student Online Orientation. This is a mandatory step and can be completed at any time after you apply.
WHAT IF I'M NOT SURE I'M READY TO START COLLEGE?
We suggest that you first meet with a Career Counselor to review your goals, develop a plan, and help you decide if STEP is the next best step for you. Call 1.888.872.4606 to talk to an Education Fund Career Counselor.
If you want to prepare yourself to take a college level course, we recommend that you first consider completing one of our non-credit online classes (Intro to Medical Terminology, Intro to Anatomy & Physiology, and Biology) through our Healthcare Career Basics program. Learn more.
HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
Contact the Education Fund at 1.888.872.4606 or contact the Ed Fund Career Counselor in your area directly.