The STEP Program removes financial barriers and provides counseling and academic support so you can succeed in the steps toward completing a degree program or qualifying for a healthcare training program that will accelerate your movement up the career ladder.
The STEP Program supports workers like you in completing the following classes at local Community Colleges:
- College Readiness
- General Education (GEs)
Not sure what classes to take? After you apply, your assigned Education Fund Career Counselor will help guide you through the process.
The STEP Application for the 2019 Spring Semester and Winter Quarter has ended. Please check back here in March 2019 for the Fall 2019 STEP application period.
Those living in the Northwest Region (Oregon/Washington) or who attend Foothill or DeAnza Colleges can apply for the Spring quarter starting January 22 until February 22. Apply now.
KP NORCAL employees see the bottom of the page for additional information for your region.
Type Of Support
- Tuition, Mandatory Fees & Required Books paid for every quarter/semester at local community colleges.
- Work with an Ed Fund Career Counselor who will guide and support you through the process.
- Receive free one on one online tutoring for difficult subjects like math, English and science.
- Get on track to reach your education goals and upgrade your career!
Am I Eligible?
Yes, if you
- Are a regular full or part-time employee who is eligible for benefits from your employer.
- Work in an SEIU bargaining unit for which the employer makes an Education Fund contribution.
- Have completed your initial probationary period.
- Meet the college’s prerequisites for your class.
- Enrolled in the community college and able to register for your classes.
What Classes Are Covered?
- Basic Computers
- ESL (English as a Second Language)
- Microsoft Word & Excel
- Foreign Language
- All GE (General Education) Classes required to graduate
What Colleges Are Covered?
Local Community Colleges in these regions:
- Southern California
- Central CA/Coast
- Northern California
If your local community college is not listed in the STEP online application please contact us at 1-800-888-872-4606.
Online Classes through your local community college – Many of the colleges provide online or hybrid versions of their classes. The STEP Program will support any semester/quarter online or hybrid college credit classes at the community college.
Please note that the STEP Accelerated Online Pilot Program for 2018 is closed and we will not be accepting any new students for 2019 at this time.
How Do I Get Accepted Into STEP Program?
Application Process For New Students
- Apply for the STEP program. You will receive an email within 10 business days to let you know your application was successfully processed, next steps and a link to the New Student Online Orientation.
- Complete the New Student Online Orientation. This is a mandatory step that must be completed to move forward.
- Speak with your assigned Ed Fund Career Counselor to review your application and discuss the next steps of the process. It is very helpful if you can send unofficial transcripts or assessment scores to your assigned Ed Fund Career Counselor. If you need help with this, please ask your Ed Fund Career Counselor for assistance. They are here to support you.
- Register for your class through the community college’s registration process at the earliest opportunity.
What If I’m Not Sure I’m Ready To Start College?
We suggest that you first meet with a Career Counselor to review your goals, develop a plan, and help you decide if the STEP Program is the next best step for you. Call 1.888.872.4606 to talk to an Education Fund Career Counselor.
If you want to prepare yourself to take a college-level course, we recommend that you first consider completing one of our non-credit online classes (Intro to Medical Terminology, Intro to Anatomy & Physiology, and Biology) through our Healthcare Career Basics program.
Kaiser Permanente Employees in Northern California
Kaiser Permanente employees in Northern California can apply for STEP CORE in March 2019!
What is STEP CORE?
STEP CORE is our next level of support within the STEP program. STEP CORE covers tuition, fees, and textbooks, every semester for Healthcare Training programs at Community Colleges. It also provides free online tutoring and one-on-one counselling support.
Supported STEP CORE Programs include but are not limited to:
- Medical Assistant
- Medical Coder
- Surgical Tech
- Radiology Technician
- Respiratory Therapist
- And more!
How do I get support?
Applications for STEP CORE for NorCal KP will be available her starting in March 2019.