AYC (Advance Your Career) Program
What Is The AYC Program?
AYC is a reimbursement program that provides financial assistance to employee who want to move up the healthcare career ladder.
AYC reimburses up to $5,250 for:
- Required Textbooks
- Student fees
- Required license or certification exams
Since this is a reimbursement program, AYC participants must pay these costs up front or make financial arrangement with their education/training program.
The AYC program supports a variety of degree and/or training programs in direct patient care careers and also in administrative (non-direct patient care) careers. Programs will be considered for AYC support as long as the program will lead to a position that you employer currently employs. The following is a list of some but not all, of the programs that are supported by the AYC program:
- Surgical Tech
- Medical Assistant
- Diagnostic Imaging including Rad Tech
- Sterile Processing
- Mental Health
- Medical Lab Technician
- IT and non-clinical pathways
AYC APPLICATION PERIODS FOR 2020
For California and Las Vegas only:
January 1 to June 30, 2020*
August 1 to November 30, 2020*
For Oregon, Washington and Colorado only:
The January application period is now closed.
August 1 to August 31, 2020
Please check back in mid-July for information regarding the August application period.
We will longer accept applications from students that have already completed their programs.
* Note: No applications will be accepted after the application period has closed.
Overview of the Application and Acceptance Process
STEP 1: Apply online – submit proof of start and end date and verification that you have receipts to submit for payment.
STEP 2: Watch Online Orientation and complete the Student Guidelines.
STEP 3: Meet Your Career Counselor.
STEP 4: Submit Request for Reimbursements.
Step 1 – Application Process
Prior to submitting the online application you must meet the all eligibility requirements listed in section A and have all the required documents outlined in Section B.
Section A – Eligibility
You must meet all of the following criteria to apply:
- You are an employee represented by an SEIU bargaining unit.
- You have completed your probationary period.
- You are full-time or part-time and benefited, working 20+ hours per week; OR you are a non-benefited employee and your training program is less than forty (40) hours.
- You are currently attending classes in an academic degree or training program at an accredited community college, 4-year college or university, a private career college, a regional occupational center or at another technical training/degree granting institution, when you submit the online application.
- California and Nevada applicants: during the January through June application period you must be completing your program no later than June 30, 2021.
- There are no exceptions to these end date requirements.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are still completing prerequisite classes you are not eligible for this program.
- Your classes are offered either on-site or online (self-paced programs are not supported).
- You must submit requests for reimbursement immediately upon being accepted into the AYC program but no later than 30 days after your AYC program acceptance. If you are unable to submit receipts within 30 days of your AYC acceptance, please apply during the next application period.
If you do not meet these eligibility criteria, please check back in mid-to-late July for information about eligibility criteria for application periods starting in August 2020.
Section B – Required Documentation
You must submit the following two documents:
Verification of your program start and completion dates, this must match what you put on the application. You must submit one of the following:
- A letter from your educational institution OR
- A copy of the signed enrollment agreement or contract from your educational institution OR
- A degree audit showing the start date and the completion date of your program
The verification document must include the following or it will not be accepted:
- Your name
- School name
- Program you are completing
- Start date – the date you started your program
- End date (including externships, internships and clinical dates) – the date you will be graduating or completing your training
Please do not submit the following: Class schedules, syllabus, calendars, or invoices (these documents will not be accepted as proof of program start and end dates.) We no longer accept applications from students that have already completed their programs.
Verification that you have receipts to submit for payment
You must submit one of the following:
- A copy of an invoice showing that you have made a partial or full payment towards your tuition OR
- A receipt for required textbook(s) OR
- A financial statement from your school showing that you have made a partial or full payment towards your tuition/textbooks/student fees OR
- Any other document that verifies that you will be submitting receipts for reimbursement immediately after you have been accepted.
Ready to Apply
You are ready to apply during this application period if you:
- Meet all the eligibility requirements (see Eligibility section above)
- Have both the school verification document and the payment verification document (you will upload these documents when completing the online application)
- Are currently attending classes
- Will be completing your program no later than June 30, 2021 for California and Nevada applicants.
If you are not ready to apply now, please check back in mid-to-late July for information about eligibility criteria for application periods starting in August 2020.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents that are faxed to the Education Fund will not be accepted and your application will not be considered. Incomplete applications (missing the school verification document, a receipt or not completely filled out) will also not be considered. No paper applications are available or will be accepted.
Step 2 – Application Status
All applicants will be receive a Provisionally Accepted or Denied email (see below).
In order to move on to STEP 3, provisionally accepted applicants are required to
- Watch the Online Orientation Video
- Complete the Student Guidelines (a link will be included in the “Provisionally Accepted” email).
Please review the information below regarding when you will be notified.
For California and Las Vegas only:
You will receive a “Provisionally Accepted” or Denied email within 10 business days of receipt of your application.
For Oregon, Washington and Colorado only:
Check back in mid-July for information about the next application period.
Step 3 – “Meet Your Career Counselor”
- Once you have completed STEP 2, you must meet (via telephone) with your assigned Career Counselor.
- After this meeting you will receive an “Officially Accepted” email and the AYC Request for Reimbursement Form.
Step 4 – Request for reimbursement
- You must immediately start submitting your requests for reimbursement after receiving your official AYC acceptance, but no later than 30 days after your AYC acceptance.
- You will receive payment within 4 to 6 weeks after your request has been received.
Please click on a question to expand and see the answer.
How much is reimbursed and what is reimbursed?
Employee can be reimbursed up to $5250 per program for:
- Mandatory student fees
- Required textbooks
- Entrance exams, exam review classes, and exam fees for tests leading to entry-level license/certification (i.e. NCLEX) these exam costs are only reimbursed in conjunction with entire education program. They will not be reimbursed independently.
NOTE: All AYC participants must pay costs upfront, or make financial arrangements with their schools.
I won’t be submitting receipts for reimbursement until next year (2021), can I apply during this application period?
No. In order to be accepted into the AYC program during the current application periods, you are required to start submitting receipts immediately.
If I am accepted, when can I start receiving reimbursement?
You will be able to start submitting request for reimbursements once you have completed Step 2 & Step 3 of Application Process.
Can my application be denied?
Yes, the AYC program is competitive and not all applicants are accepted. Here are some reasons you may be denied (one or more may apply):
- You are not an eligible employee (see the eligibility criteria information above)
- You are still completing prerequisite classes and have not been accepted into an academic degree or training program
- Your program is not accredited by the appropriate state or national accrediting agency or organization
- Your program is self-paced
- Your academic/training program is not one that your employee hires from
- You aren’t currently attending classes
- Your program ends after the end date required during this application period (the end date will be posted on this web page in mid-July)
- You were an AYC participant less than 15 months ago or twice within the last 5 years
I was denied. Can I reapply?
If you were denied due to one of the reasons listed above and that status has changed, you are eligible to apply again. Please note you will have to submit a new on-line application.
I have some additional questions regarding the AYC Program. Who can I contact?
Please call 888-872-4606 for more information regarding the AYC program.