AYC (Advance Your Career) Program
What Is The AYC Program?
AYC is a reimbursement program that provides financial assistance to employee who want to move up the healthcare career ladder.
AYC reimburses up to $5,250 for:
- Required Textbooks
- Student fees
- Required license or certification exams
Since this is a reimbursement program, AYC participants must pay these costs up front or make financial arrangement with their education/training program.
The AYC program supports a variety of degree and/or training programs in direct patient care careers and also in administrative (non-direct patient care) careers. Programs will be considered for AYC support as long as the program will lead to a position that you employer currently employs. The following is a list of some but not all, of the programs that are supported by the AYC program:
- Surgical Tech
- Medical Assistant
- Diagnostic Imaging including Rad Tech
AYC APPLICATION CYCLES FOR 2019
For California only:
February 1 – June 30, 2019 (Please note: no applications will be accepted after June 30th.)
August 1 to November 30, 2019 (Please check back in mid-July for information and eligibility criteria for this application period.)
For Oregon, Washington and Colorado only:
August 1 – August 31, 2019 (Please check back in mid-July for information and eligibility criteria for the this application period.)
We will longer accept applications from students that have already completed their programs.
* Note: No applications will be accepted after the application period has closed.
Overview of the Application and Acceptance Process
STEP 1: Apply online – submit proof of start and end date and verification that you have receipts to submit for payment.
STEP 2: Watch Online Orientation and complete the Student Guidelines.
STEP 3: Meet Your Career Counselor.
STEP 4: Submit Request for Reimbursements.
Step 1 – Application Process
You are eligible to apply for AYC if you meet all of the following criteria:
- You are an employee represented by an SEIU bargaining unit.
- You have completed your probationary period.
- You are full-time or part-time and benefited, working 20+ hours per week; OR you are a non-benefited employee and your training program is less than forty (40) hours.
- You are enrolled in an academic degree or training program at an accredited community college, 4-year college or university, a private career college, a regional occupational center or at another technical training/degree granting institution, and you will be completing your program as of December 31, 2019.
- PLEASE NOTE: If you are still completing prerequisite classes you are not eligible for this program.
- Your classes are offered either on-site or online (self-paced programs are not supported).
- You will submit requests for reimbursement no later than 30 days after acceptance. If you are unable to submit receipts within 30 days of your acceptance, please apply during the next application period.
If you meet all the eligibility requirements and have the school verification document and proof of payment, (these documents must be uploaded when completing the online application), you may apply online when the application opens on February 1, 2019.
As part of the application process you are required to submit the following documents:
Verification of your program start and completion dates, this must match what you put on the application. You must submit one of the following:
- A letter from your educational institution OR
- A copy of the signed enrollment agreement or contract from your educational institution OR
- A degree audit
The verification document must include the following or it will not be accepted:
- Your name
- School name
- Program you are completing
- Start date – the date you started your program
- End date (including externships, internships and clinical dates) – the date you will be graduating or completing your training
Please do not submit the following: Class schedules, syllabus, calendars, or invoices (these documents will not be accepted as proof of program start and end dates.) We no longer accept applications from students that have already completed their programs.
Verification that you have receipts to submit for payment
In order to be accepted into the Spring 2019 AYC program you will need start submitting receipts for reimbursement immediately. You must submit one of the following:
- A copy of an invoice showing that you have made a partial or full payment towards your tuition OR
- A receipt for required textbook(s) OR
- A financial statement from your school showing that you have made a partial or full payment towards your tuition/textbooks/student fees OR
- Any other document that verifies that you will be submitting receipts for reimbursement immediately after you have been accepted.
Submitting the Online Application
If you meet all the eligibility requirements and have both the school and payment verification documents (these documents will be uploaded when completing the online application), you may apply online now.
PLEASE NOTE: Documents that are faxed to the Education Fund will not be accepted and your application will not be considered. Incomplete applications (missing the school verification document, a receipt or not completely filled out) will also not be considered. No paper applications are available or will be accepted.
After submitting your online application, proceed to Step 2.
For California only:
If you meet all the eligibility requirements and have provided correct documentation you will receive a “Provisionally Accepted” email within 10 days of submitting your application.
For Oregon, Washington and Colorado only:
If you meet all the eligibility requirements and have provided correct documentation you will be notified of your status of “Provisionally Accepted” or “Denied” by March 4, 2019.
All provisionally accepted applicants will be required to watch the Online Orientation Video and Complete Student Guidelines (a link will be included in the “Provisionally Accepted” email).
“Meet Your Career Counselor.” Once you have completed STEP 2, you must meet (via telephone) with your assigned Career Counselor. After this meeting you will receive an “Officially Accepted” email and the AYC Request for Reimbursement Form.
Submit Request(s) for reimbursement. As soon as you receive the form you will be able to immediately start submitting your requests for reimbursement. NOTE: You will receive payment within six (6) weeks of submitting your request.
How much is reimbursed and what is reimbursed?
Employee can be reimbursed up to $5250 per program for:
- Mandatory student fees
- Required textbooks
- Entrance exams, exam review classes, and exam fees for tests leading to entry-level license/certification (i.e. NCLEX) these exam costs are only reimbursed in conjunction with entire education program. They will not be reimbursed independently.
NOTE: All AYC participants must pay costs upfront, or make financial arrangements with their schools.
What type of training or degree is covered by the AYC Program?
AYC supports a variety of degree or training programs in direct patient care careers and also in administrative (non-direct patient care) careers. Programs will be considered for AYC support as long as the program will lead to a position that your employer currently employs.
How do I submit my application?
You must apply online to be considered for the AYC program. The application link will be available on this web page once the application period is open.
Will I need to submit any additional documents when I apply?
Yes, along with submitting the online application, you are required to send in documentation verifying your program start and end dates. Verification documents must be uploaded when submitting the online application. No emails or faxes are accepted.
When will I be notified of my application status?
You will be notified by email of your status within 10 business days.
Oregon, Washington and Colorado only:
You will be notified by email of your status by March 4, 2019.
I won’t be submitting receipts for reimbursement until September, can I still apply?
In order to be accepted into the Spring AYC program you are required to start submitting receipts immediately.
If I am accepted, when can I start receiving reimbursement?
You will be able to start submitting request for reimbursements once you have completed Step 2 & Step 3 of Application Process.
Can my application be denied?
Yes, the AYC program is competitive and not all applicants are accepted. Here are some reasons you may be denied (one or more may apply):
- You are not an eligible employee (see the eligibility criteria information above)
- You are still completing prerequisite classes and have not been accepted into an academic degree or training program
- Your program is not accredited by the appropriate state or national accrediting agency or organization
- Your program is self-paced
- Your academic/training program is not one that your employee hires from
- You aren’t currently enrolled
- You were an AYC participant less than 15 months ago or twice within the last 5 years
I was denied because my program won’t start until September 2019, can I reapply?
Yes. If any of the above reasons have changed for you, you can apply again during the appropriate application period.
I have some additional questions regarding the AYC Program. Who can I contact?
Questions can be directed to the following Education Fund Career Counselors:
Linda Redricks: firstname.lastname@example.org for non-Kaiser employees in California and Las Vegas.
Daisy Kinyauo: email@example.com for Kaiser employees in California, Colorado, Oregon, and Washington.